Using MS SQL as external Database

Hi, im using Vaultwarden on a Linux Server running in Docker.
For Backup proposal i want to Change the Database to an MS SQL DB runnnig on a Windows Server 2019.
I found support for postgres, Mariadb/mysql but is MS SQL also supported?

For Bitwarden MS SQL is supported:
Connect to an External MSSQL Database | Bitwarden Hilfe-Center
But they dont use Docker in this example.

In my mind it should be no problem and would be setup similar to mysql. Anyone got expirience with that?

Thanks for your help.

No, it’s not supported. We use diesel to interact with databases and since it does not support the backend either it’s not as simple as you might imagine.

I think the reasons (and options) outlined in this reddit comment from diesel’s maintainer still apply but since most of them also would apply to Vaultwarden, I don’t think that we can or will add support for MS SQL either.

1 Like

Also, are you planning to keep your main database setup on a different DB then MSSQL?
If so, that would be very strange, since you need to convert back/forward.

Also MySQL/MariaDB and PostgreSQL both support HA setups if you are looking for something like that. On how to do that i would suggest to read there documentation.

As a side-note, There are dockers for MSSQL, that is what Bitwarden Self-Hosted uses too btw.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick answers and your Help. All of our Databases are MS SQL so i thougth, why not use existend infrastructure. I will setup a PostgreSQL in docker then.