Better ciphers Argon2

It has been requested for years in bitwarden forum with no progress and I wonder if this could be added to vaultwarden.

Quick and short answer, no.

Main reason is that the backend does not do any encryption. Only the clients encrypt and decrypt. So if one client uses method x, the other clients also need to support that.

1 Like

Ok, I understand but then, when you import your passwords on Vaultwarden web ui and you have them in a plain text on a CSV, aren’t the credentials encrypted at this point by vaultwarden?

I understand that then in order for a client to unencrypted the file both sides would need to be able to use the same encryption/decryption but I’m asking for curiosity.

The server never ever receives unencrypted secrets.

See: Encryption | Bitwarden Help & Support

There is a link also to the white paper which explains it in more details.

Argon2 is now being added over the Client apps Release Web v2023.2.0 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

1 Like

I assume we’ll get the new dropdown option once the web ui is updated with the latest BW web ui?

I upgraded to web build Version 2023.2.0, however when I try to change to Argon2id encryption, there’s a webassembly error, I’ve tried using firefox, vivaldi & opera.

Do you have WASM support in your browser?

I thought I had, I’d successfully run webassembly checks on the browsers I was trying with. After your post I tried Firefox 112 and I could change to Argon2 in the web vault.

Thank you!

Is this running on vaultwarden/testing image? Or bitwarden?