CA help with setting up bitwardenRS on Pi4

Hello bitwardenRS community!

I have been looking for a password manager and came across bitwardenRS on reddit. I really like the idea of hosting my own private instance (with access to premium features!) without putting my saved passwords in the cloud on someone else’s server.

It’s taken me a few tries, but I finally have docker, docker compose, and portainer setup on a PI 4 running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I am fairly new to Linux in general, but this is my first time using docker, docker compose, and portainer.

I am following Julian Runnels’s guide on medium. Since I have docker and docker compose already setup, I am using step 2:

1. Docker/docker-compose installed, want to create a full private CA and client certificate:

sudo ./create_ssl.sh

This will just create the needed SSL certificates

I am stuck on the part where it is now asking me to “Please enter your FQDN for your bitwarden instance:”. One problem, I don’t have a FQDN! Do I need to purchase my own domain in order to use this step?

If someone wouldn’t mine helping or guiding me through this I would be really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

In general, third-party tutorials can get out of date easily, and I don’t recommend them as a primary resource. Setting up a private CA isn’t a method that’s recommended or supported. I’d suggest taking a look at

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Do I need to remote my Pi since I started some of the process from the third party guide?

I recently followed @jjlin’s advice and now have my bitwardenrs instance running on my rPi 4 with Ubuntu 20.04LTS.

I found the easiest route was to follow the using Docker Compose instructions on the github wiki as linked to above.

In terms of remote access, it sounds like you need a dynamic DNS service. Here’s a link that might help.

Good luck!

@derrickr Thanks for the information! I am re-flashing the sdcard and will start over.